Areas of Practice
Lauren received a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) from the University of Toronto in 1991 and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of British Columbia in 1994. After clerking at the Supreme Court of British Columbia she was called to the British Columbia bar in 1996. Prior to joining Legacy, she practiced in Vancouver as a litigator for an international law firm.
Lauren’s trust and estate litigation practice focuses on complex estate litigation. She advises corporate and individual trustees as well as personal representatives and beneficiaries of their legal obligations and duties in all estate matters. She acts for beneficiaries who question the actions of the trustees of their particular trusts. She also assists individuals with respect to their rights to vary a will as well as issues relating to the validity of will.
Lauren also has a family practice which focuses on the intersection of estates and family law.
Lauren has authored numerous papers in the areas of wills, estates, trusts and the intersection of estates and family law, and is a frequent speaker on these topics. She has been recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada in both Trusts and Estate (2016 – 2021) and Corporate and Commercial Litigation (2015 – 2021).
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Member, Law Society of B.C.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- Executive Member, Canadian Bar Association B.C. Branch, Wills and Trusts Section
Recent Professional Publications and Activities
- “Wills, Estates and Succession Act Transition Guide” (Contributing Author, CLE BC, October 2013)
- “Will Planning and Related Legal Issues” (Author, March 2014)
- “Legal Entitlements of Beneficiaries in Discretionary Trusts” (Author, Pacific Business Law Institute, June 2014)
- “WESA for Family Lawyers: Children and Issues Arising under WESA” (Co-Author with Michelle Isaak, CLE BC Conference, October 2014)
- British Columbia Probate and Estate Administration Manual, Chapter 4 (Contributing Author, since 2015)
- “The Final Step – Passing of Accounts in a Contentious Estate” (Author, CLE BC Estate Litigation Basics, February 2016)
- “Transfers and Joint Property Ownership under the Wills, Estates & Succession Actand the Family Law Act” (Co-Author with Emma Ferguson, The Integration of Family Law and Estate Law, Pacific Business & Law Institute, October 6, 2016)
- “All Trusts, All the Time – Implied, Resulting and Constructive Trust Claims” (Author, CLE BC Estate Litigation Update, October 2016)
- “Management of Excluded Property in a Post-VJF World” (Panelist, CLE Advanced Financial Issues in Family Law, November 2016)
- “Excluded Assets – Considerations for Family Law and Estate Planning” (Author, CLE Estate Planning Express, April 2017).
- “Planning Where Blended Families Are Involved” (Co-Presenter, Estate Planning Done Right, Pacific Business Law Institute, January 2018)
- “Estate Litigation Basics” (Course Chair, CLE, April 2018).
- “Til Death Do Us Part – Hopefully – Planning in Uncertain Times” (Author, CLE Estate Planning Update 2018, November 15, 2018)
- “Estate and Trust Law Update for Family Practitioners” (Co-Presenter, CLE BC 12th Biennial Family Law Conference 2019, July 4-5, 2019)
- “Baryla v. Baryla: The Presumption of Advancement in the Family Law Context” (Co-Author with Caitlin MacDonell, Estates, Trusts & Pensions Journal, Volume 39, No. 2, March 2020)