Areas of Practice
Laura assists clients with personal and corporate succession planning, including corporate reorganizations, estate planning and trust and estate administration. She also has significant experience advising taxpayers on issues related to residential real estate, including property transfer tax, speculation and vacancy tax and Vancouver’s empty homes tax. Laura currently serves on the Board of Governors of the Canadian Tax Foundation. Prior to joining the firm in 2015, Laura articled and practiced taxation and corporate law at a large regional law firm in Vancouver. Before articling, Laura served as a judicial law clerk at the British Columbia Court of Appeal.
Laura was called to the Bar in the Province of British Columbia in 2014 and the State of New York in 2015. She received her Juris Doctor from Dalhousie University, Schulich School of Law, in 2013 and a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Criminology from Simon Fraser University in 2010. Laura has completed all three parts of the CPA Canada In-Depth Tax Course as well as the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners Diploma for Canada.
- William J. Fowlis and Laura Peach, “Estate Planning from Design to Wind-Up: Key Tax Issues & Pitfalls” in 2021 Western Canada Tax Conference (Toronto: Canadian Tax Foundation, 2021) 2:1-87.
- Laura M. Peach and Wendy Seet, “Using Discretionary Trusts Effectively: Pragmatic Planning for a Complex Tax World,”, 2020 YP Focus Virtual Conference (Toronto: Canadian Tax Foundation, 2020), 4: 1-116.
- “BC Speculation and Vacancy Tax: Surprises for Non-Residents and Trustees”, Canadian Tax Focus, Vol. 9, No. 2 May 2019.
- “The Principal Residence Exemption”, Bar Talk, April 1, 2017.
- Stephen G. Coughlan & Laura Peach, “Keeping Primary Goals Primary: Why There is No Right to an Adequate Investigation” (2012) 16 Can. Crim. L. Rev. 247.
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (B.C. Branch)
- Member, New York State Bar Association