Trusts, Estates & Estate Planning
A substantial focus of Legacy is the provision of comprehensive planning to our private clients, including the owner/managers of businesses, family corporations, individuals and clients with international holdings.
An integral part of this planning is succession of wealth to future generations and charities. Our innovative planning aims to minimize taxes and other costs associated with lifetime gifts and estates and to facilitate a transition of wealth efficiently and without dispute.
Our work includes advising clients on a wide range of trusts, estates and estate planning issues including:
- preparation of wills, powers of attorney and representation agreements;
- appointment of committees;
- implementation and administration of alter ego, joint partner and family trusts;
- corporate reorganizations related to estate planning;
- estate administration, including probate;
- advising trustees on their duties and obligations; and
- advising trustees and beneficiaries regarding estate accounts and trustee fees.
Trusts are an important planning tool with which we have notable expertise. Whether created during lifetime or as part of a will, trusts can be used in a range of circumstances, such as: to efficiently dispose of assets on death, address the challenges of blended families, reduce the taxation of income both before and after death, hold assets for those requiring special care or who require protection, facilitate offshore business and personal holdings, and implement charitable purposes.