Kate is a Legacy director and principal with a legal practice focused on personal and corporate tax planning, corporate and tax-driven reorganizations, tax issues arising in connection with the acquisition or sale or a business or on divorce or separation, and estate planning.
Kate regularly advises owner-managers of small and medium-sized businesses, professionals of various disciplines and individuals , corporations and other organizations who are interested in planning for the future through tax and estate planning.
Recent examples of her experience include:
- Acting for growing family enterprises to put in place proactive strategies for minimizing the tax payable upon the death of the owners.
- Assisting clients with tax efficient transfer of business ownership to the next generation or an unrelated buyer.
- Helping companies simplify overly complicated business structures and take advantage of opportunities for tax minimization.
- Guiding individuals and couples through the complexities of family, investment, and business situations by implementing estate plans that utilize to best advantage available tax driven strategies and tools.
- Assisting individuals and corporations with charitable giving strategies, including the set-up and operation of private foundations.
Kate has been admitted to the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, and is recognized by her peers as a senior practitioner in this field.
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Member, Law Society of BC, since 2005
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation, since 2005
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), since 2013
- Admitted to the British Columbia Bar, 2005
- University of Ottawa, 2004, LL.B.
- University of British Columbia, 2001, B.A.
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants In-Depth Tax Course (Parts I, II and III), 2005-2009
- “The New Landscape: Recent Tax Changes (federal, provincial, municipal) affecting real estate”, Estate Planning Conference (Author and Presenter, Joint Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners and Chartered Professional Accounts of BC, 2018)
- Regular Contributor, STEP Inside – “In the Headlines” (Author, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners)
- “Safe Income, Specified Corporate Income, and Work-in-Progress of Professionals: the “Other” Important Changes are Here” (Author and Presenter, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, 2017)
- “The Rapidly Changing World of Tax Planning with Trusts” (Author and Presenter, Canadian Tax Foundation, Vancouver Young Practitioners, 2017)
- “Pick Your Poison: The Planning Pros and Cons of Avoiding an Estate” (Author and Presenter, Canadian Tax Foundation, BC Tax Conference, 2017)
- “The First Appointment”, The Basics of Wills and Estate Planning (Author and Presenter, the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2017 and 2015)
- “Using Trusts Effectively: New Developments” (Author and Presenter, Pacific Business and Law Institute, 2016)
- “New Taxation Regime for Estates and Trusts”, Estate Planning for Blended Families (Author and Presenter, the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2015)
- “The Year in Review – Major Tax Related Developments of 2014” (Presenter, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, 2015)