Kate is a Legacy principal who practices in the area of tax planning and implementation, as well as in the area of estate planning. After receiving her Bachelor of Arts Degree in 2001 from the University of British Columbia, she earned her Bachelor of Laws degree in 2004 from the University of Ottawa. Kate was called to the British Columbia Bar in 2005.
Kate’s practice focuses on personal and corporate tax planning, corporate and tax-driven reorganizations, tax issues arising in connection with the acquisition or sale or a business or on divorce or separation, and estate planning. She regularly advises owner-managers of small and medium-sized businesses, professionals of various disciplines and other high net worth individuals.
Professional Memberships and Associations
- Member, Law Society of BC, since 2005
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, since 2005
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation, since 2005
- Member, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), since 2013
- Completed Levels I, II and III of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants In-depth Tax Course
- “New Taxation Regime for Estates and Trusts”, Estate Planning for Blended Families (Author and Presenter, the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2015)
- “The First Appointment”, The Basics of Wills and Estate Planning (Author and Presenter, the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2015)
- “The Year in Review – Major Tax Related Developments of 2014” (Presenter, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, 2015)
- Regular Contributor, STEP Inside – “In the Headlines” (Author, Society of Trust and Estate Practioners)
- “Succession Issues for Wineries” (Speaker, Law Seminars International – Wine and Liquor Law in British Columbia, 2015)
- “When You Can’t Trust the Trust – The Scope for Reversing and Rectifying Trust Transactions” (Author and Presenter, Pacific Business and Law Institute, 2014)